What is Rhythmic Gymnastics?
Rhythmic Gymnastics is a female sport, which represents a unique mixture of dance, art and music. Rhythmic routines usually consist of elements from classical ballet, modern dance, basic acrobatic movements, performed while the gymnast is skillfully handling one of the five rhythmic apparatus - rope, hoop, ball, clubs or ribbon. Rhythmic gymnasts learn how to express themselves to the public through elegant and graceful movements, while showing advanced apparatus work. The virtuosity, flexibility and agility of the gymnast at intermediate and advanced level are truly impressive and always awe the viewer. The routines can be performed individually or as a group of five.
Benefits of being a rhythmic gymnast
Girls enrolled in rhythmic gymnastics programme greatly benefit from the elegant and at the same time competitive nature of this sport. Gymnasts will demonstrate development in the following areas:
- Posture and walk – from the very beginning Anna’s Gymnastics Academy makes sure that every gymnast learns how to sit, stand and walk in a correct posture. We believe that being able to control the position of your torso, head and limbs is essential first step for each one of our future stars.
- Flexibility, balance and strength – our classes consists of exercises that best match the needs for our gymnast and allow them to fully enhance their potential in key gymnastics areas.
- Coordination skills - coordination is a very important aspect of rhythmic gymnastics, because it lies at the core of each routine. All our gymnasts learn how to perform different body movements while doing rolls, bounces, throws, mills (clubs), spiral and snake shapes (ribbon) with their apparatus.
- Team work skills – many of our routines require perfect synchronization, high level of trust and the willingness to help each other. Often our gymnasts need to overcome their personal feelings and work together with the team in order to achieve the team’s final aim.
- Concentration and leadership skills – our gymnasts gain these important skills through their vast competition experience and performances in front of large audience. Later on these skills contribute greatly to their academic and professional career.
- Commitment, discipline, the ability to focus on the final aim and pursue excellence – these are qualities that every advance level gymnast demonstrates in the gym as well as in her personal and professional life.